View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
Rendu

Default Re: New, Eager, and Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Then again, GMs, in most any system, expect players to build characters to their standards, that's what allows a PC to fit into a setting, creating a character in a vacuum is mostly a waste of time.

Always talk to the GM first and find out what the standards for a given game are.
My concern is that "creating a character in a vacuum" seems to be exactly what's happening to the OP. Whoever the "someone" who told him to start over is, it seems as if not much guidance is being offered. (Or perhaps I'm reading too much into the tone of the post.) Just being told "that's wrong" isn't helpful if you aren't told how to make it right. This has the seed of being another "I tried GURPS once, but it was too hard." story, and we don't need more of those.

@Ronavone: What other games have you played? We might be able to offer more helpful advice if we had some idea of where you're coming from. People who've only ever played D&D/D20, for example, find the absence of classes and levels in GURPS disorienting- they get overwhelmed by the lack of framework. also, I second the request for clarification- Are you using the 3rd Edition, revised? That will make a big difference in what we tell you, as there were major changes to the character creation rules between that and the current 4th edition.
Rendu is offline   Reply With Quote