View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #20
EskrimadorNC

Default Re: Jason Bourne combat skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I'll be honest: This is very tricky, almost impossible to do. The best possible approach would be to research the films and do play-by-play of what's going on. I've been doing that a lot with martial arts lately (I started to break down the opening fight of Into the Badlands in GURPS Martial Arts), and I started because Hans-Christian Vortisch's work on translating shooting scenes into Tactical Shooting inspired me, but I noticed something: He never states what the skills involved are. After working through the scenes myself, I could see why.
Indeed. I've been working on the same sort of thing with the hallway fight scene in The Raid: Redemption and with The Bourne Identity. I too was inspired by Hans' write ups on his Blog and here on the forums (specifically his John Wick write-up) and Douglas Cole's Technical Natasha which was mentioned a few times further up-thread.

Again, all of this is just an approximation rather than something definitive. When I see a cool fight scene, I often think "I wonder how I could pull off some of that stuff in a GURPS game?" That's basically what this thread is all about. If you want to build a character that could do to foes what the Bourne character does on screen, how would you do it? What combination of Attributes, Skill Levels, Advantages, Perks, and improved Techniques would you need to pull that off but still be reasonably "in genre"? Karate-30 might fly in a high-end DF game, but pretty much any GM running a Spy-Action-Adventure game in a modern setting would likely give you the stink eye for having something like that on your character sheet.

There has been a lot good feedback since I posted this last night, and most of it lines up with stuff I have already been thinking about. If my thoughts line up with you forum veterans, I think that puts me in good company. :-)
EskrimadorNC is offline   Reply With Quote