View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 10:58 PM   #19
Anomylous

Default Re: Five New Practical Magic Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post

Designer's intent is that microorganisms exist whether they are understood or not
My fan-theory is that no Industrial Revolution has happened on Cidri due to a lack of fossil fuels, the fact that the best and brightest tend to go into magical rather than scientific research, and possibly a lack of political stability - that sulfur-metabolizing organism that keeps firearms from being practical on a large scale probably contributes, as well.

But that doesn't mean scientific progress can't or doesn't happen. I've assumed that Physickers and Naturalists have advanced the study of biology, possibly even to early or mid 20th century-equivalent levels. So nobody bats an eye when PC's use alcohol to sterilize things, insist on digging a proper latrine away from the source of drinking water, or otherwise act in accordance with our modern understanding of sanitation.

Quote:
Certainly if I ever wanted to write Five Downright Evil Spells, PLAGUE would be a good one.
I think you already did! Control Person, Possesion, Geas, Curse, and Word of Command: Kill would be my Top 5 Evil Spells from the AdvWizard table.

But I could probably also name Five Good Uses for PLAGUE as a Plot Device without breaking a sweat, so...

Quote:
I am willing to edit the base rules to say that a wizard can use all his summoned creature's senses - if I do that, what blows up in my face? Tentatively: Its other senses are also available, though the wizard will not understand everything that a rat smells or a bat hears!
Can you (or someone) clarify something? It's been a pretty standard tactic, in my group, to use small Images and/or Illusions as scouts. Illusory bats are a popular choice, as are hawks and owls, under the theory that bats can echolocate and birds of prey have good eyesight. Does the SUMMON SCOUT spell invalidate this application of Image/Illusion? (Also...does the scout mammal come from another dimension, or does the spell function more like a combination CALLING and CONTROL ANIMAL, limiting the wizard's choice of scout to whatever's in the neighborhood, but possibly explaining the low cost to maintain?)
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote