View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Help for 4ed GURPS Traveller campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder1 View Post
Not sure if I put this in the right thread, but here we go.

I’m thinking of running a 4ed GURPS Traveller game and was disappointed with the limited starships in Interstellar Wars, and wanted something more detailed than the Spaceships series of ebooks. So, I wanted to use the starships from 3ed Traveller (plus the setting), question is how much conversion Is necessary? Can I just drop the starships and space combat from IW and insert the 3ed versions?

Also I have a similar question about the 3ed Vehicle and Robot rules. I would like to port them into 4ed too.
Early in 4e I ran a Space game which used 4e rules for character generation and skill use but 3e rules for gun combat and gear stats (including Ve2 built spaceships). It worked fine.

3e and 4e stuff together? Won't work due to wildly divergent HP assumptions and also some ACC problems. If you have 3e Traveller stuff and like it there's no reason to convert. 4e doesn't work "better" than 3e. It just uses different assumptions to "fix" problems you might not think are problems.

Specifically vehicle combats will be _much_ shorter in 4e due to revised HP. The phrase "eggshells armed with hammers" has been used multiple times.

Also, due to revised 4e damage to humans and autofire rules, Gauss weapons which are very strong choices in 3e Traveller are utter crap in 4e. Many fewer hts and P- damage.

Also, Interstellar Wars ships from that book are incompatible not only with 3e GT canon but Traveller canon in general. The most obvious example is the J-2 "Beowulf" Free Trader bit there are others. Also, a lot of ships have armor that's _much_ higher than is seen elsewhere in Traveller.

If I were doing Traveller in 4e I would first have to do a lot of work converting 3e to 4e stats and then I'd have to fix 4e issues. Much simpler to not convert in the first place.