View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
hal

Default Re: Do Meson Weapons have Limitations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Looking it up in Starships, it appears that Meson Screens will neutralize Mesons but not other forms of attack.
Meson Screens in GURPS TRAVELLER are laughable when compared against their CT counterparts.

A long time back, I created my own versions for the Meson Gun analogs from CT's HIGH GUARD. It was based on the following:

1) use the rules as given in converting GURPS VEHICLES rules for use with weapons in Traveller

2) Volumes given in CT for each type of Spinal Mount

3) the rules given in Mayday

4) The premise that just as Meson Spinal mounts do MULTIPLES of damage depending on the hull size vs the Weapon classification (ie the higher the letter value of the spinal mount, the more critical hits and actual hits it secured against the target ship.

All of those factors hinted at the idea that the Spinal mounts, like lasers, had a high rate of fire that permitted them multiple hits.

If you look at the original CT rules, Meson Screens could protect in TOTAL against incoming hits. GURPS TRAVELLER rules make it such that you can't protect in total, against any meson shot.

The reason my work was "disallowed" was that it didn't meet the criteria of needing a minimum energy input at the "higher" Tech levels. I largely accepted that until I realized that I had missed one minor detail...

"Meson Bay Weapons"

By definition - those weapons are smaller than spinal mounts, and in CT, used far less energy than did the spinals. However, it wasn't worth the time to argue.

If you want to try your hand at having more "CT like" Meson weapons, and having Meson screens that were on par with that in CT - I would suggest doing what I did...

1) determine the volumes the weapons actually used in CT
2) Use the RoF rules to get the odds of securing a hit in the same ball park as their CT counterparts (ie the 2d6 odds of getting a hit in CT)

I doubt that the work I posted survived (I think it was posted back in the day of the Pyramid boards rather then here at the Forums).
hal is offline   Reply With Quote