Thread: Vessel Features
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
JCD

Default Re: Vessel Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Problem is, Superiors are constantly forced to balance between making vessels that make their servitors' lives easier, and making vessels that don't break the masquerade. Both sides of the War want humans kept in the dark about it as much as possible - angels to preserve free will, and demons because knowing about Hell tends to encourage good behavior among the talking monkeys. A vessel that didn't leave DNA traces would be mighty suspicious for the human doctor that ran across it. The rest of the vessel differences can be fairly easily faked - even if a vessel doesn't need to eat, excrete, or sleep, the servitor inside it can always choose to do those things anyway and avoid scrutiny. But when the EMT takes a blood sample and finds out that, oh my, you don't have blood cells in there, they'll know Something Is Amiss.

Which is not to say that this sort of "wetwork" vessel is never issued, just that I think it won't be standard issue. If Martha Malakim gets vessel-killed, bamfs back up to Heaven, begs a new vessel off her Archangel, and descends back into the fight, I'd just say "Yeah, your new vessel is completely DNA-free. Michael didn't feel like getting fancy anyway, given the time constraints". And it's possible that an celestial might be given a wetwork vessel on a permanent basis, if their Superior were assured that they'd never use it outside combat.

Even if Superiors are handing out forensics-free vessels, though, they probably encourage servitors not to use them unless they need to. If you kill someone, and need to have your Role go to Argentina to beat the rap, or even go to jail, well, it's annoying, but it's certainly within the resources of a Superior to manage. Heck, you don't even have to do the time - your Role can be taken by an imp or a reliever or something while you get a new body and go back to causing mayhem. Unless your Role is very important to preserve (A minimum of Status 4, I'd say), Superiors probably prefer that humans see some evidence that a crime was committed by humans, rather than having a bunch of crime scenes that are bizarrely evidence-free. The absence of evidence may not be evidence of absence, but it's definitely suggestive that something weird is going on.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am suggesting. I am not suggesting a DNA free vessel at all! If an EMT takes a DIRECT sample, well, everything is good. I am suggesting that if Martha Malakim gets hit with a bullet, her blood DNA degrades quickly away from her body so that any sample sent to CSI is "degraded" after only a few hours. Nothing odd, happens all the time for crime investigators. An even easier fix would be for the DNA to slightly change, so it appears contaminated.

And non secretors are a common Earth phenomena (unless ALL those 20% are actually Celestials, which is pretty scary)
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote