View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Gotcha. Well, I agree that psychic powers in Star Trek tend to be biological rather than technological in origin, even if they can be technologically created in biology (e.g., "Plato's Stepchildren").

I still don't see that you'd get particularly close to Star Trek by including psionics (in the sense of psychic-power-inducing technology).
What reasonably important tech in Star Trek can you think of that can't be simulated by adapting psychotronics? The only one I can come up with that has significant problems is warp drive, but even that just requires fudging the definitions in a couple of different ways depending on which version you prefer (it's one of the other questions that I'm working on, probably the next one).

If the above suggests to you that I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, please clarify.

Quote:
I don't mean to say you shouldn't be doing this. I just don't think it's quite the fit you seem to think it is.
I think this is one of those 'different people see things differently' things that happen all the time on the internet, like two people reading the exact same story and coming up with completely unrelated views of an important character.

Quote:
Yeah, it was because in "The Squire of Gothos" Trelane tried to replicate the 19th century and Kirk said it was 900 years past.

Which century or year Star Trek took place in was not solidly established until the movies. During the series individual writers just picked numbers they liked.
I think Trelane was trying to simulate the eighteen century rather than the nineteenth, but that's still way off from 900 years ago, so that point stands. I think it was intentional on Gene Roddenberry's part that the real date would not be established, and they only made a firm statement in the movies because someone else wanted it.

So, is that one vote or two votes to use the Eugenics Wars (or something similar with a more accurate name, since this was not simply a matter of selective breeding of humans) with a totally new timeline? If we do do that, we'd need to work out more of the details when building the timeline.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote