View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
A Ladder

Default Re: [Basic] Realistic Low Tech Challengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The musketeer feels like he's a very much tamed down version of the three musketeers rather than an actual musketeer. The French Guard was an odd duck in being named after musketeers. These were elite soldiers who should have boosted physical stats and decent skills. They were also skilled in horseback combat: you should be comparing them to knights and samurai in terms of skill level, and perhaps better, as they were picked troops, rather than generic.

A proper musketeer (the ones that actually fought in all the wars) would have his musket, the soldier skill, and a very poorly trained in hand to hand weapon like a short spear or a sword. Actually, he's as likely to have points in fast draw for loading his weapon as he is to know how to actually aim it.

Along side musketeers would be pikemen (a classic unit), creating the classic "pike and shot".

Another classic at TL4 is the "Man at Arms": a foot soldier clad in full plate and armed with a polearm of some sort. Nastily effective if no one is using guns on a large scale.
From what I gathered in my research (though admittedly not very thorough) was that the elite guard were limited to the Garde du corps, Gardes suisses, and the dragoons (the cavalry branch). This left the rest of the musketeers of the guard open to the lower class (and to what I could tell) not the best fighters. I will note that I don't actually know what I'm talking about, just what I picked up in reading about them.
It looks like I will need to add a Garde du Corps as an elite version (ST 11, DX 11) and give them riding. Though missing the soldier skill is a glaring oversight. I'll go back and add that and update with fast draw ammo.

Did the musketeers that were cavalry use a specific mounted weapon, or just stick to their muskets?

I did see that the Swiss Pikemen were rather fierce-some, I'll go and add a Man at Arms to cover them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote