View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #16
Icelander

Default Re: Cutting-Edge Armor Design at TL10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
[TL10 Nanoweave]
WM: 0.21

CM: Don't know for sure but I think the $150 at TL10 is for the full TL10 version. If you don't think it is then I'd say it's no more then $200/lbs.

DR/in: 143

Max DR: 72

Notes and Construction should be as TL9 Nanoweave.
Going by how the rest of the article works, the Cost $150 is for fabric with the stats of TL9 Basic Nanoweave at TL10, by which time it should be much easier to manufacture and more advanced substitutes are available.

Why did you decide to drop WM to 0.21? Is there any reason to assume that the kind of Nanoweave used for ballistic fabric gets inherently lighter for a given volume, as opposed to just becoming stronger per weight and volume?

Quote:
This is just a guess buuut....

WM: 0.23
CM: $150
DR/in: 121
Max DR: 61

This pure speculation on my part though.
TL9 Arachnoweave is WM 0.3 to the WM 0.32 of TL9 Basic Nanoweave. Any particular reason to reverse the relative weights of the two fabrics at the next TL?

If it can be scientifically justified, the kind of TL10 Arachnoweave that I'd prefer to use in my campaign has the same DR as the TL9 Arachnoweave, but the improvements consist of being as much lighter for this performance as can be plausibly imagined and in being as comfortable as possible.

The setting role for Arachnoweave, if this can be done without violence to real-world science, is as clothing that will stop many holdout pistol bullets, but not look anything like armour and can be worn all day even in hot climates. It would help if it could breathe more than other ballistic fabrics by default and I assume that designing climate control systems into it is extremely common.

Nanoweave is the primary flexible fabric used by affluent militaries and police forces, with TL9 Basic Nanoweave, under the generic name Carbonweave, being the most popular ballistic fabric worldwide. Both kinds would benefit from some form of climate control, of course, at least for whole body suits meant to be worn all day.

Quote:
Use Titanium nanocomposite, all the "nanocomposites" in the article are actually matrix composites.
Thanks.

Quote:
Well diamondoid is pretty much the settings equivalent of a "Chobham" type armor. It has WM 0.06, CM $350, Dr/in 247 and a min DR of 99.
I'm at work, so I don't have the books open. What is the source for these numbers?

Quote:
I'd say not really that restrictive if the clothes aren't any heavier to wear and aren't terribly thicker then normal ones, so long as its properly designed though I'd I say any comfortable armor would need to have the Optimized Fabric option.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Once again, depends on thickness though most material probably aren't going to breath like cotton (well arachnoweave might).
I'd really like to be able to assume that arachoweave could be made more breathable than nanoweave, as that would provide a justification for the Transhuman Space setting assumption that extremely light armour that does not look like armour is made from arachnoweave rather than nanoweave.

But is there any realistic reason to assume this? High DR seems to be a design goal very much opposite to porous and breathable, regardless of material. To take a low TL example, silk clothing may usually be light and cool, but silk armour is made from densely layered raw silk and is not particularly porous.

Quote:
If you mean in relation to their textures, how comfortable they feel on your skin and how well they breath. Yes, but unfortunately I haven't found any articles discussing these facts in regards to versions of these materials currently in real world labs sadly.
At TL0 to TL8, a universal constant has been that anything designed as armour is significantly inferior to anything designed as summer clothing at keeping the wearer comfortable and cool.

One assumption that science fiction settings often make is that climate control and smart fabrics will allow for clothing that is cool and comfortable while still having enough DR to stop attacks from many or most concealable civilian personal weapons.

I'd like to know how to best accomplish that, using actual technological progress, rather than handwavium. Assuming, of course, that it is possible and practical.

Quote:
I'd say all of them could be designed to incorporate buzzwear and the like without altering weight or DR... well.... they should realistically increase the weight but at TL10 I'd imagine that the tiny micro motors used in those materials would be lite enough at a human scale that the added weight would be rounded off anyways. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the assumptions behind this tech to give a meaningful guess at how much this stuff would weight per square foot of coverage if you wanted to try scaling it.
I realise that for proper tactical wear, the extra weight is of minimal concern, as it is a tiny fraction of the total weight. On the other hand, for armour that looks like t-shirts or underwear, at 1/6th thickness, the weight of outer and inner layers of memswear might well be significant.

That is, if Arachnoweave or Nanoweave cannot be designed as memswear itself. Which I have no idea about.

Quote:
Hope I was of some help.
Certainly, you were.

Last edited by Icelander; 08-18-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote