View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #18
Otaku

Default Re: Making Techniques Worthwhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
How can you tell the difference between a fictional fighter who has mastered many techniques of a style by mastering their style, and a fictional fighter who has mastered a style by mastering all its techniques? Or to put it a different way, can you give an example of the sort of fighter you are thinking of that would need to be represented in GURPS by putting points in a bunch of techniques of a skill rather than in the skill itself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
If anything in the context of technique costs you can look at 4pts for improving every technique available to you as well as your basic strikes and defence is pretty damn cheap! So why bother to make techniques cheaper, since thay are going to have to be massively cheaper to compete with that!
For the record, I am at least somewhat closer to accepting that this isn't a big issue (maybe even a non-issue). I am quoting the above to portions of posts, however, because there is a reason for wanting a player to invest in many Techniques and not pile all of those points directly into a Skill; how GURPS handles Skills. This ties into the advice from [Basic]; a character can have Karate-40... but both for preserving how Skills are intended to function and fleshing out the character, it makes more sense to take Karate at a still high level (say, 25), then take a few related Skills (like Judo) at good levels, and then invest in Techniques.

I'm just picking numbers half at random, half from what I remember seeing in the [Basic] example (don't have my books with me), but for those wondering why anyone would want to invest heavily in Techniques without just raising the underlying Skill instead - and that includes my own concerns - there we go.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote