View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 AM   #17
Tomsdad

Default Re: Making Techniques Worthwhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
With rare exception, like Ground Fighting, it is often better to improve the base skill than it is to improve more than one underlying Technique, as the improvements increase all of the underlying Techniques and any defenses associated with the base skill. In order to make Techniques worthwhile, I propose the following changes. When feinting with a trained technique (or resisting a feint by a technique that you are trained in) you gain a +1 bonus per level in the technique to the quick contest (cumulative with any feint technique). What do you think?
I think you get that already (assuming the technique your fienting with is a valid attack the opponent could legitimately think is coming at them*). I'd probably penalise multiple feints of the same specific technique though, as cost of predictability.

either way it's not much of boost to as it only work with fients.

*this can get a bit complicated when people start feinting an "acrobatic AoA Long at 7 hex range" because in theory they could launch themselves 7 hexes, so I take a view at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not just fiction and drama, but reality too. If you train a body of techniques equally as part of of a normal training regimen, then it seems clear to me that you aren't improving any one technique above the others, and therefore it is better represented as an increase in skill. If you find that you have a technique that you are especially good at, or that you especially like to use, then points in the technique make sense, as it does if your training emphasizes a few more than others. "Training that specifically individually emphasizes all techniques equally more than others" isn't a logically coherent statement.
Yep, weather or not it happens at 3 or 4, at some point you are just a better fighter than a better "elbower, sweeper, kicker and spinning attacker".

If anything in the context of technique costs you can look at 4pts for improving every technique available to you as well as your basic strikes and defence is pretty damn cheap! So why bother to make techniques cheaper, since thay are going to have to be massively cheaper to compete with that!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-10-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote