View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Bug report - Modals and multiple monitors

Thanks for the thorough explanation of the problem.

Someone else may have suggestions for getting such windows back in view.

GCA has two types of windows that it creates, some of which may be modal or not. They are those that GCA remembers the position of, and those that it does not.

For remembered windows, it always puts them where you left them after the first time the window is shown. If that's on another monitor, yeah, that'll be off-screen if that monitor is later not available. I may be able to get the currently active display space, and move such windows back into view; I'll make a note to look at that.

For unremembered windows, GCA generally just opens them up centered on the owning window, usually GCA itself. The problem there is that Windows sometimes seems to be just plain crazy. If you can see GCA, such windows should always appear over what you're doing. But they don't always do that, and I don't know why.

I'll make a note to look at this, too. Maybe I can have GCA5 do something to check out the environment better before it opens any windows, and adjust how and where it opens them.

For right now, I hope someone can offer a good way to get windows back on-screen, because I can't make any fixes to the GCA4 codebase at this time.

ETA: Thinking about it, the craziness may be in the Visual Basic runtime window manager, which creates the windows in Windows. Nevertheless, it shouldn't do that.

Last edited by Armin; 09-10-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote