View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
Rick_Smith

Default Re: We don't need no stinkin' Heros and Wizards

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoricshipyards View Post
... So, I was wondering, does anyone have any experience with just doing away with the distinction between Wizards and Heroes? ...
Hi MeteoricShipyards,
The idea of making it easier to take spells for heroes has come up a fair number of times in this forum.

I like Chris' suggestion of taking a 5 point talent, and then letting people learn spells. (I think that experienced wizards are more powerful than experienced heroes, so wizards having to pay for the privilege of learning spells does not trouble me.)

However, what I would do would be to ask, "do I want to allow non-wizards to pick up an occasional spell?", or "do I just want to make the druid class work?"

If all you want to do is make druids work, house rule a druid class. Some spells are cheaper, some spells can't be learned, these talents cost normal, but talents for the city cost more. What ever you like. It can be balanced, or unbalanced, what ever you want to make druids fun.

If you want to allow people in general to be able to pick up a spell or two, I suggest a variation on Chris' suggestion. People can sacrifice an attribute or two at character write up to gain the ability to user magic.

No sacrifice: normal rules for heroes. spells take triple experience to learn, and spells are cast at -4 DX.

Small sacrifice: Spells take double experience to learn, and spells are cast at -2 DX.

Full sacrifice: You are a wizard and use magic at full power. (but since you sacrificed attributes, you can also learn talents normally.

(I'm being a bit vague here because I'm trying to make these suggestions so that they work with the new TFT, but I don't know the details of how that works.)

Anyway, it is your game. Don't be shy about tweaking some rules to make druids shine.

Warm regards, Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote