View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 01:50 AM   #27
Hyrneson

Default Re: [PURE THEORY] Low-Tech vs Fantasy-Tech

Frankly, Kromm is right, some of the minutae that power GMs (and I include myself in that group) find cool is dry as dust for most players. Agriculture and population growth and migration patterns are all fine for world building and opperation, but is that what your game sessions are about, is that what the players want?
(Odd vissions of poeple sitting around quietly rolling dice and scribbling on paper swim before my eyes, one triumphantly thrusting his fist in air with a cry of glee, then yelling, "YES! A bumper crop for the shire thanks to three field rotation!!! How many points is that worth?") :)

That data has a place and a use, but I think it belongs in Pyramid. If fact I think that would make a great e23 book, "The Best of Pyramid World Building" or some such.
I'm not going to bust Kromm's huavos on this and I don't think others should either. Face it, when was the last time that Kromm, Pulver, Master, JS, and so on didn't deliver? When did you feel you got screwed to the post? There are always going to be armchair editors (geek varient of armchair quarterbacks) but I have yet to find a book that I didn't get my money worth. These folks are professionals, they've proven their chops, they ask for respectful input and are responsive to their audience. I think they deserve more trust than some folks give them.

RH