View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #15
Casey

I liked the format and coverge of material in GURPS Low-Tech much better than GURPS High-Tech. The latter read like Progress of Weapons with some little bits on how the rest of technology and how it works (and with society) and progressed. So for 4e I hope that *both* Low and High tech are more than just lists of weapons and armor. Perhaps more material on alternative tech possible at each tech level but not found on Earth (or not really developed) and more detailed examination of some of the tech in Low-Tech, along the lines of 3e High-Tech and more guidelines on how to use the book for exceptions (cultures like the Aztecs with several TLs present at the same time) and for cultures that don't develop the same as Earth.

A problem with combining Fantasy tech with Low tech is that to me, not all Fantasy tech is low tech. What about sub-genres like Urban Fantasy, Planetary Romance, and Science-Fantasy? So is the intent to split Fantasy bits up into each X Tech book, based on TL?

Personally I'd split all the Fantasy stuff into a seperate book (Fantasy Tech or Magic Tech or Magic Items?) along with more coverage of creating magic items, etc. if needed, if the Tech books can be beefed up. That would mean a fantasy gamer might be buying a Fantasy book with 1-2/3rds of material they may not want though. ><

Last edited by Casey; 02-20-2006 at 11:37 PM. Reason: fleshed out first paragraph
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote