View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #36
Dalin

Default Re: I Smell a Rat impossible to beat [spoilers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
SD, as written up in DF:M, is pretty simple:
  1. Damage reduces HP normally, but does not cause shock, physical stun, or knockout (I assume this includes consciousness rolls or it's not very relevant).
  2. If HP >= 0, full move and immune to crippling.
  3. If HP < 0, half move and can be crippled.
  4. If kill conditions are not met, it cannot be killed. If conditions are met, it makes death checks normally, or just dies if below -5xHP.
Crystal clear and right there in the book. Thanks for pointing it out. This actually makes a Peshkali fight a bit more interesting because there's value in causing injury even if it doesn't cripple the arms. Our wizard, for example, trying to stay out of melee range, didn't want to stack hit location penalties on top of her range penalty. Without reviewing the rules, I basically nerfed the spell strikes since they weren't aimed at the arms. Per RAW, though, hitting a Peshkali square in the torso with a fireball (or nearby with an explosive one) would help take it down far enough that its arms could be crippled. The damage would also ensure a speedy death after crippling the last arm.

Musing aloud here... if the Peshkali starts at full 20 HP and a melee character begins attacking its arms, injury will max out at the crippling threshold of 11 but would not cripple the arm because the Peshkali would still have 9 HP (i.e., HP >= 0). Even if the character could potentially do 22+ injury, which would normally destroy or dismember the limb, this would not apply because the attack can't do more than 11 injury. Subsequent strikes, with the Peshkali having less HP than the crippling threshold, could cripple or destroy limbs.

Now I want to do the battle again. Maybe on Thursday with another group.
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote