Thread: "you stumble"
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Plane

Default "you stumble"

I was reading http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=112922 and it highlights one of the unarmed critical miss results:
You stumble. On an attack, you advance one yard past your opponent and end your turn facing away from him; he is now behind you!

Imagine this scenario:
*you have Basic Move of 5
*you are 6 yards away from your opponent
*you take a "Move and Attack" maneuver
*you move 5 yards toward him, and are in range to either (reach 1) kick him or make a flying tackle (or pounce, if 4-legged) at him
*you critically fail and get that result, and so end up 1 yard behind him, having effectively advanced 2 extra yards further (7 total) than you could by having taken a non-attacking normal Move maneuver

Can you intentionally choose in advance to critically miss to (either possibly or guaranteed) gain an extra step or 2?

If it's possible to do that by stumbling on accident, then shouldn't it be possible to do that on purpose? Just say "I'm taking a Move and Attack, but I'm taking an automatic failure in exchange for choosing HOW it is I fail" Then you are basically getting the extra movement in exchange for the reduced defenses that a Move and Attack gives?

It also seems like the "you stumble" result counts like a successful evasion past an opponent who might not want you to get past them. In that case, since you're not actively trying to get past them, should they even need to roll to stop you, or just automatically succeed? If they should roll, what against?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote