View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
Chris Rice

Default Re: Magical Creatures and Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
If you conjure an elemental does it get a full set of talents and/or spells appropriate to its IQ or is it just a "smart animal" (or newborn)?

If zombies don't have IQ, do they suffer penalties for using weapons without talents? Do they have their master's talent? Does the latter mean a wizard who doesn't know (say) Sword and Shield but wants to arm them will have a lot of useless zombies who can't hit anything with melee weapons?

Should dragons and other intelligent nonhumanoids have talents and/or spells?

The way I've always played these things is that a conjured creature would have no spells or Talents but would be capable of doing what it was meant to do. So a summoned Myrmidon for example would be able to use its weapon without penalty. If it dropped its sword and had to pick up a spear I'd let the myrmidon use it without penalty also. (I'd exclude peculiar weapons from that though, although I don't recall that ever coming up). I simply wouldn't worry about Talents as far as summoned creatures are concerned. I'd take the same approach with Zombies. The can pick up whatever weapon is available and fight without penalty. So, in a way, I use these creatures as they were in Melee (where there were no Talents) even when playing Advanced/ITL.

As to Dragons and other intelligent creatures, I would certainly allow them Talents and Spells if I felt they needed them or if it made the adventure more interesting, but I wouldn't do it as a matter of course.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote