View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
Tomsdad

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Aquatic Styles: Sahuagin (Shark Men)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I'm designing a style for sahuagin of the Forgotten Realms, who are similar to the shark men of Yrth. I have the Pyramid on Underwater Adventuring and GURPS Martial Arts: Yrth Fighting Styles.

This particular style uses only claws and teeth. It is the personal style of a sahuagin Baron who is smaller and weaker than his peers, a serious weakness in a society where rank is determined through duels with tooth and claw. He is, however, more intelligent and savvy and through skill and practice has been able to defeat any challengers.

I can represent some of it through using Karate instead of Brawling, with an appropriate Perk, which gives him higher damage for his ST. I was wondering what else I could add.

Is Judo worthless underwater, with Wrestling doing everything it can usefully do, but better?

What are good Techniques and Perks for intelligent duelling with tooth and claw?
Feint / Ruse, especially based off IQ.

I think Judo and wrestling moves that involve leveraging an opponents weight against them and falling/throwing would be pretty useless underwater.

But I would give him say technique mastery in locks and holds to help his lower ST against Higher ST opponents. Because I'm guessing a sahuagin with a broken arm or leg suddenly has a tough time maintaining position in an aquatic environment.

sahuagin have tails as well as legs and arms IIRC, maybe allow tail breaks for similar effect

If he does go with a weapon then go with armed grappling and joint / limb locks and breaks.

Combos, because he's going to have to get in and pull his move off before he gets caught by an opponent with a higher ST

Allow him TM on Break free as well to help with this if needed, and maybe some extra CP to escape opponents grappling with their bites and claws

If sahuagin don't already have it allow him Flexibility as an advantage based off his style (same rationale for the CP above)

Oh and Pressure points / Pressure secrets are always good for little guys facing big guys, especially if you tie it into the "when developing his unique style he used his greater intellect learning the weak spots of his opponents in order to use them against them" rationale

(this last one also riff's of the "punching sharks in the nose" mythology!)

EDIT: sorry this stuff may have already been mentioned in the Yrth fighting styles, I don't have access to that where I'm posting from.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 10-30-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote