View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #443
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Get the Italians Machiavelli rather than the Romans. Give the Germans pretty much anyone in their history besides Bismarck.
Fredrick the great was pretty capable, as I understand it.

But if I was fighting in the wars almost rather Germany gets a competent Bismark than some of the possibilities in there. He may have preached blood and iron, but when you look at it the man understood when not to fight. he engineered three very short wars with fixed objectives and designed a stable Europe that lasted for 40 years -- and it only feel apart when some blockheads decided to disregard the advice he left.

contrast that with a bloodthirsty fool who wants to conquer all of Europe.
---------------------------------------

For a great italy in the mid 1900's, fiddling with WWI may work. If the Italians knock out the Austrians (much more likely if they have different generals), credit for winning the war rests with them, and they're able to make a lot more claims when the war claims are settled.

But really, for a great itally, you've got to start with the economy. And even that might not work, because they did get a good economic leader when the rest of the world was in the dumps and they STILL didn't matter.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote