Thread: RPM: I Ching
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
PK

Default Re: RPM: I Ching

I definitely wouldn't suggest messing with young/old either, except as a theme to explain certain effects or aspects of the system. Using two trigram Paths to create each hexagram is enough complexity; plus, it's also coming at the hexagram creation from an alternative route which precludes the idea of young+hold hexagrams.

Normally in I Ching you throw coins six times and create the six lines, old or young (changing or solid), then use those to determine both hexagrams, which then indirectly determines the two trigrams that make up each hexagram. So this system would really be doing it backward -- but considering that it represents using magic to cause a specific change in reality, that makes perfect sense! You aren't throwing coins to see what reality will be -- you're invoking your will to create reality. So you start with the last "step" (trigrams) and use them to create the pertinent step (one hexagram) directly. No young, no old, no waffling -- you're saying that this is what's going to happen, universe, so accept it. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote