View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
tbeard1999

Default Re: Hold Fire in Ogre/GEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I do see it as kind of artificial, but deliberate, especially considering GEV split movement. Allowing attacks of opportunity drastically changes the dynamic between treaded armor and hovercraft, to the point of throwing the entire system into confusion. Think about how much more powerful this makes Ogres. The usual tactic for using GEVs against cybertanks is in a series of slashing attacks: move a group close in the first movement phase, make attacks in the firing phase, then scatter in the GEV second movement phase. The Ogre player has to make a decision between grinding for the CP or trying to run down some of the GEVs. If the Ogre can instead hold its fire then it can devastate the GEVs as soon as they come into range, eliminating their entire special game mechanic.

Remember that Ogre/GEV is not meant to be a realistic simulation, just a fun game. Sometimes things will happen that might not make real-world sense.
No question about it. I would not add Hold Fire, except as an optional rule. And I wouldn’t use it in a game of Ogre. The issues - assuming agreement that they are issues - arise when you have lots of non-Ogres on both sides.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote