View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Tech Level of Tales of the Solar Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I don't know that this is always the case. Yes, household appliances and other conveniences can be considered TL6+3^, but what about, say, medical technology? The doctor is going to wear a stethoscope and use a tongue-depressor (though they probably have miracle pills). Materials science? Ships are made of steel, not ultra-tech alloys. Navigation? Astrogators perform their calculations with paper, pencil, and slide rule.

Hmm. Maybe the answer is to classify the base TL as 6+3^, and specify those technologies that are held back. E.g., TL6+3^ (Computers TL6; Materials Science, Nuclear Power TL7).

Skill penalties when encountering alien technology; rolls on tables like the First Aid Table and the Medical Help Table; letting players browse the Tech books.

I'm not really interested in debating the validity of GURPS tech levels. I'd prefer to assume they work just fine, and figure out the right answer.

He might wear a stehoscope. There is also the back in time aspect of some tech in anachronistic. Slide rules are the obvious examples. For all I know TotSP phones still have rotary dials but a built in Tri-D projector to allow face to face conversations.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote