View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Nymdok

Default Re: [GM] Individual Melee Combat Balance

No, this isnt for DF, this is for melee combat in general.

The Spreadsheet isnt that hard to understand.

If your using the Skill v skill/2+n sheet, then Attack skill is on the left side and n is across the top. So for Skill of 14 vs Active defense of 10 find the intersection of 14 and 10=14/2 +3 where the 3 is of course n.(9 columns over at 46.3).

If your using the Deceptive Attack Sheet, then just look at where 14 intersects with 10. (also 46.3%)

Thats my point, you cant look at Classes in GURPS cuz it dont have any. THerefore, we have to look at raw fighting ability (Combat skill) and Damage.
Likewise, Since there is no AC in gurps, you have to look at the Active Defense and DR.

I use the Combat Balance Points of AD&D because thats what I played when I was a kid and thats alot of what Ive been converting lately. If you knew the percentages, you could just as easily use Boot Hill, Top Secret, Star Frontiers or any other system you like.

I only use the classes as realtive points of success. I know there are no clases in GURPS and that a Rogue/Thief can Fight as well as a Warrior/FIghter, but for that to happen there needs to be some parity between Skill and Damgage on each side.

Therefore, the whole point of this exercise is that your Fighting like an AD&D fighter if your doing damge 50% of the time.

It doesnt matter if your doing damage through skill by targeting chinks in armor or your doing damage by brute force by wielding a 2 handed Axe (SWING DAMAGE IS NO JOKE!) or some combination. THis allows you a way to marry those concepts together into a way that translates to 1eAD&D

Its true that things like shock dont exist in the old AD&D, thats a concept that cant be translated. THer is simply no 'word' for shock in AD&D as we know it in gurps. I cannot treat that. I also cannot treat the fact taht the only real combat manuver in 1eAD&D was 'Hit it Again!'. Things like feint and Stop Hit dont translate into 1eAD&D. However, If they are balanced in GURPS, then they should still be balanced once we translate into GURPS.

In other words, that 50% to hit can be tweaked by evaluates, AOA and other methods, but the consequences to those manuvers keep them balanced so we stay at around 50% (Give or take).

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote