View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #23
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Supercavitating OGRE Weapons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I meant that the existing minefield rules, as is, work fine for naval mines.
That's what I read from it too: Not a single thing in the rules that says mines can't go in a Water hex...the current PDF of the rules even straight-up suggests it by mentioning hexes with Bridges in them.

I had a big write-up in the works the other day, but the conversation moved on between when I wrote it and when I got around to proofreading it, so let it go. It read like it was generated by a ramble-o-matic anyway, touching on other stuff like Ninja toys.

For a while, I was considering the merits of making a distinction between a Floating mine (GEV movement / Infantry) and a Seabed mine (Ogres / Superheavies), not unlike how mines already make the distinction between 'On the road' and 'somewhere in the hex'. But the more I think about it, and the more I work through ideas elsewhere...I don't like it nearly as much as I did at first Oooh Shiny.

It'd be a neat tool in a scenario designer's toolbox, but it takes away from the elegance that defines Ogre as Ogre rather than Flames of War or one of those. The more I dwell, the more I'm thinking it's probably best to assume any water we're going to see in-game is shallow enough that nothing is safe ("Swimming Ogre" minis show the conning tower above the surface, so what...10-15m at most?), or that mine technology has become advanced enough to be able to hit either. Sensors and ballast tanks in the mines themselves [so they can rise or sink when they detect a hostile unit] would be all it takes, and in a world where you've got Turing-and-then-some AIs running supertanks flinging nuclear warheads out of railguns on ballistic arcs with enough arms and armor to take on entire battalions on its own, a mine that can manage its own depth isn't exactly going overboard.

Same can be said for an 'Ooh shiny' moment I had in response to all the talk of Keel-cracking...the idea to give a fixed 1:1 or 1:2 Spillover when a water mine goes off, to reflect how nasty underwater explosions are. It's cool, but I'm not sure if the cool factor makes up for the extra work.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote