View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #24
IrishRover

Default Re: How important is combat to your game.

Well, my favorite RPG isn't called "Star Peace," and combat seems to happen regularly. Something about rebelling against an evil empire seems to do that... (Both as GM and player, using both West End Games and tyhe new Saga system)
We'll try to avoid unnecessary combat, but it is a big part of the fun.
When PC's and the opposition are not only reloading their blasters, but worring if they have enough clips, that's a heavy combat.

My 1920's D20 Modern action/pulp campaign has had some games...sometimes 3-4 sessions in a row...without any heavy combat. (I GM that one.)

Traveller...combat is as seldom as we can acomplish. Classic traveller is deadly when the guns come out...especially the fusion guns. (I'm a player in that) But when the gunfight does start, we all enjoy it!

D&D...combat is in integral part of the campaign. (Version 3/3.5 we play, 4 can stay on the shelves in the store as far as I'm concerned.)

GURPS Horseclans...combat happens every 2-3 game sessions back when we were playing the campaign, sometimes more often. But it wasn't the goal of the game, it was a very hostile world.