View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Campaign chronology seeking constructive criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post

Transhuman International Inc. (year 2032)
Employees: 3.076.235
Assets: 2.490.368.000$
Gross sales: 24.594.184.363.610$
Operating profit: 284.688.384.000$
Industries
Aerospace, agriculture, chemical, computer, construction, defense, energy, entertainment, food, health, manufacturing and mass media.

The conglomerate is subdivided into three major branches:
Transhuman church (Entertainment and mass media)
Employees: 146.000 Assets: 113.880.000.000$
LilyCare (Agriculture, chemical, energy, food, health and manufacturing)
Employees: 1.384.042 Assets: 1.122.734.870.400$
EveTech (Aerospace, computer, construction, defense, energy and manufacturing)
Employees: 1.546.193 Assets: 1.254.271.600$
These numbers are nonsense. On a couple of different levels.

* First, no company with 3 million employees knows how many people it employs to 7 significant digits. It might know it to 4, so the employee count should be 3076000
* Similarly, they don't know their profit, sales, or assets down to the thousands of dollars. They might know it to the millions.
* You said they had $2 trillion is assets, and gave them $2.5 billion in assets. I think that's a typo.
* They have $25 trillion in gross sales (typo?). World GDP in 2017 was ~$126 trillion; assuming a 4% growth rate worldwide for the next 20 years, world GDP should be about $227 trillion, so they're supplying 1/9th the world's GDP, making them roughly equal to modern day China or the US (~1/6th the GDP each). That's a little nuts.
* They only have $284 billion in operating profit for a 1.2% profit margin, which means they have the same profit margin as a grocery store.
* The asset values for the various subgroups don't add up in any way: they're not sales, they're not assets, they're not operating profits. They're just a bunch of random numbers. Subgroup employees do sum to total employees, so that's a plus.

As far as your cure for cancer:
"Yes it is a general cure for cancer that mainly attacks the metastases." There are plenty of cancers that will be happy to kill you without metastasizing. I immediately think of thyroid cancer because it can choke you to death without metastasizing off the thyroid. And metastases are just breakaway bits of the original cancer that have settled somewhere else in the body: saying that you're attacking the metastases doesn't address Harald387's point that cancer is a bunch of different, unrelated diseases. The metastases are still a bunch of different, unrelated diseases and the fact that you can kill metastasized thyroid cancer cells with Iodine-131 doesn't mean you can do the same with metastasized breast cancer cells.

I want to echo Harald387's point:
"I'm genuinely confused about what you're going for here: as campaign background, this is far more detail than you need, and you might be much better served deciding what sorts of challenges you want your PCs to face - what kind of stories you're looking to tell - than by determining the exhaustive list of accolades showered on a couple of background NPCs for the game. "

Finally, to answer the question on the prizes they would have been awarded:
* Adam may get the Nobel in Medicine for the cancer cure in 2026, but 2030 or later is more likely.
* Mary might get a Turing Award in 2032 for inventing AI in 2019. Maybe.
* Neither of them are likely to have gotten Nobels or Crafoords in Chemistry, Literature, or any of the fields you get Crafoords for. (Maybe? You never indicate why Adam would have gotten Nobels in Chemistry or what field or for what work he got a Crafoord). Multiple awards in 14 years are really unlikely but Madame Curie did it so I'm not going to rule it out. Of course, she did it in two fields, not twice in the same field.
* It's possible that Mary may have gotten a Praemium Imperiale but it seems unlikely.