View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #55
demonsbane

Default Re: It would be nice to have some AD&D style demons and devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
While some kind of Code of Honor or Sense of Duty that amounts to "I will not PVP" is pretty common in games around here, we get Vows more like "I will only use my fathers sword" or "I will challenge every swordsman we meet to a duel", rather than really virtue based ones.
There are many variations of the mentioned traits. And even failing to challenge swordsmen can be a sin related to cowardice, which is the contrary of a virtue. To discard the sword of the father would be a broken promise, a loss of honor also related to sin, while attacking your adventuring companions doesn't need explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Actual Greed tends to be endemic, along with Bloodlust, Intolerance, and/or Callous.
Yes, these are character traits as well, the same way there are some genuinely evil monstrous races available for players. Now, the Intolerance disadvantage can be "good" or "bad" depending on context: for instance, if it's against evil religions there's nothing to be ashamed of, and the character could be tempted against the trait.

In any case, a variety of options don't define the game, and very much of that greed is just a perception, which is there also in absence of the awareness of the cosmogonic meaning I pointed above —getting treasure from darkness, even by means of violence or theft, is analogue of the primordial Fiat Lux—, a meaning which on the other hand doesn't need to match with obvious or familiar forms of morality —and here's where even some "purely negative" traits could be redeemed. But I don't think it's needed to pursue the subject more deeply, so it's not my intention to do it.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote