View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #53
demonsbane

Default Re: It would be nice to have some AD&D style demons and devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Also, the Palladium setting of Palladium games, where Demons and Devils are both evil and nasty, live on different planes/dimensions, and want to wipe each other out
I didn't know this, so thanks for sharing it. Also can be interesting to check if 1977 Monster Manual of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons was the first in distinguishing between demons and devils (at pages 16 and 20, respectively).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
  • You have entities that desire corruption, tempting mortals into sin. This does not work well in DF, as it tends to amount to "if you act like an DF character, I get to punish you".
If you ask me, this works just fine: Dungeon Fantasy characters can be tempted against their Codes of Honor, Senses of Duty, Vows, Higher Purposes, Disciplines of Faith . . . And acting against any of these traits can be sinful.

On the other hand, adventuring and killing monsters for loot isn't necessarily sinful nor motivated by profane greed. Ask Holy Warriors about it! And it matches with the post tenebras lux maxim (after darkness, light), one of its meanings being to bring out to light treasures or potentialities hidden by darkness or constricted by monsters, as it can be seen in mythical, cosmogonic wars and exploits of gods or angels against demons for wealth and also in the mining symbolism, very related to delving into dungeons as well.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote