View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #37
Icelander

Default Re: Magic items made from Great Red Dragon's corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Ahh, well, changes the tone of things just a bit, huh? Your guys aren't gonna be into the sort of stuff my guys are into - I kill off my parties in favor of new campaigns too often to let anyone get that powerful! I like my players to feel a certain sense of terror.
Terror is relative. In my experience, terror grows exponentially with the length of time a PC has been roleplayed and the more connections he has with the world. This also tends to increase his point value substantially, but that is of little consequence, as a fantasy world offers an almost limitless supply of threats far in excess of even a 1000 point character's puny powers.

Quote:
Anyway, airships out of inflatable parts (you can stretch intestine casing pretttty big - on a dragon that size there's no reason you couldn't get substantial weights aloft), ships out of ribs, Vast Quantities of consumable goods with various tactical and strategic benefits for their terrible Company,
Things to ponder, certainly.

Quote:
Perhaps a field canopy made from the wing membrane. Anyone seated under it appears powerful and majestic, and perhaps a touch cruel, to outside observers. Great place to receive people who want to buy your services, or meet the leaders of conquered cities.
This is sure to meet with enthusiastic approval.

Quote:
A Pennant made of Red Dragon Scales on a pole of carved dragon bone has got to be a terrifying thing even to hardened enemies, once the story of how you killed this thing gets out.
The PC chosen to be their viceroy for the campaign wanted a Red Dragon banner, yes.

Quote:
If you're the terrifying spikes and red plate mercenaries, perhaps I could interest you in a set of dragonhide battle drums, stretched over a frame of metacarpals. If you're the regimental, perfect-soldier mercenaries, you'll probably be more interested in my metacarpal straight horns. Either will give friendly regiments who hear the battle music a boost of ferocity and determination.
I think they'd fit the latter better. They have three battalions of their own men, raised and trained by company men. Those are crossbowmen with heavy steel crossbows, caliver-men with smokepowder weapons and pikemen. All wear silk armour with a steel breastplate and helmet. The crossbowmen and calivermen are trained to skirmish with sword and buckler as well.

Then they also have a thousand strong mercenary company on retainer for the current campaign. Heavy troops, wearing mail-and-plate and armed with typical men-at-arms weapons or spears.

Quote:
Appropriately hot-cured Mana Organ Chunks, suspended (carefully) in oil in a heavy ceramic or wooden shell can be launched from catapults for a tremendously effective siege weapon probably equivalent to TL 6 artillery.
Very true. Even before they killed this dragon, the PCs were planning ceramic shells filled with alchemist's fire using magic fire spells as fuzes.

Now that they have a perfect material to make it out of, the prices will go down and they can thus afford more of them.