View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #29
Genesis

Default Re: Magic items made from Great Red Dragon's corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

Sausages? Sausages?

What are you, a halfling?

You don't eat a primordial entity of incomparable majesty!
Well, maybe you don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

Increasingly, the PCs are big movers and shakers in the world. They control a mercenary company of 2000 men, a rapidly expanding navy of seven warships and more than a thousand men and they are intervening in a war between two nation states with the covert support of the third.

Each PC is going to pick out magical stuff worth $2,400,000, at $25/energy point if it is made from apposite dragon parts ($40/energy point if they want something else). But given that the magical parts of the dragon are worth more than an order of magnitude more*, they'll be in an excellent position to bargain for more stuff if there is anything they have to have. They do have ships loaded with gold, trade goods, diamonds and other magical stuff, after all.

*But the wizards were the only group able to buy and use it before most of it went bad, so the PCs were never going to get anything close to full price. What they got was a small miracle, the result of a PC with Luck and Merchant 25.
Ahh, well, changes the tone of things just a bit, huh? Your guys aren't gonna be into the sort of stuff my guys are into - I kill off my parties in favor of new campaigns too often to let anyone get that powerful! I like my players to feel a certain sense of terror.

Anyway, airships out of inflatable parts (you can stretch intestine casing pretttty big - on a dragon that size there's no reason you couldn't get substantial weights aloft), ships out of ribs, Vast Quantities of consumable goods with various tactical and strategic benefits for their terrible Company,

Perhaps a field canopy made from the wing membrane. Anyone seated under it appears powerful and majestic, and perhaps a touch cruel, to outside observers. Great place to receive people who want to buy your services, or meet the leaders of conquered cities.

A Pennant made of Red Dragon Scales on a pole of carved dragon bone has got to be a terrifying thing even to hardened enemies, once the story of how you killed this thing gets out.

If you're the terrifying spikes and red plate mercenaries, perhaps I could interest you in a set of dragonhide battle drums, stretched over a frame of metacarpals. If you're the regimental, perfect-soldier mercenaries, you'll probably be more interested in my metacarpal straight horns. Either will give friendly regiments who hear the battle music a boost of ferocity and determination.

Appropriately hot-cured Mana Organ Chunks, suspended (carefully) in oil in a heavy ceramic or wooden shell can be launched from catapults for a tremendously effective siege weapon probably equivalent to TL 6 artillery.

I'll keep thinking.

Genesis
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote