View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
PK

Default Re: [RPM] Various Questions on Ritual Path Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
New question, regarding Charms:
When "loading" an attack spell into a charm (e.g. "Spontaneous Combustion"), how is the target of the spell determined? The text never really addresses it, but the fluff at the beginning of Chapter 3 suggests that the target is determined at the time the charm is broken simply by "willing" it, and further implies that the target is "selected" by whoever breaks the charm. Is this correct?
That's up to the person who casts the original spell. What's the trigger? Most people set a trigger/spell combo like, "When this charm is smashed, deal 5d of internal burning damage to whomever the smasher is pointing at." But there's no reason you couldn't cast it as, "When this charm is smashed, deal 5d of internal burning damage to the nearest nonhuman," or, "When this charm is smashed, deal 5d of internal burning damage to whomever the smasher is looking at," or any other specification.

(And yes, the RPM book goes into way more detail on conditional spells, their triggers, and the differences between charms and normal conditional smells. Kind of a ridiculous amount of detail, but it seemed to be a FAQ so I went ahead and rambled a bit.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote