View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #48
(E)

Default Re: [ATE] Farming example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
I'm actually having trouble envisioning what this place is supposed to look like.

Any chance I could get a visual aid?
My sketching is sketchy, image search failed to get anything specific. "Saltwater greenhouses" as key words will get you the theory for the start of the water system.
Sundrop farms is an Australian project that plans on using the same technology to grow 15,000 tonnes of tomatoes per year and generate 1.2 megawatts off 20 hectares (from memory).

On a side note there may be more than one species of pine nut used, about a dozen exist.

Description
The main green house is one single building that runs from the south side of the ridge where it encloses a water evaporation system to the upper slopes of the northern side of the ridge. The southern facing is surrounded with mirrors and filled with black porous surfaces that are continually kept wet. This leads to hot moist air rising to the highest parts of the green house where it passes into the cooler northern side containing the tropical plants. Down slope from here would be the main water storage area which includes a field of water tanks and a small number of storage ponds lined with non porous material (options include some types of clay, plastic and concrete). The ponds are surrounded with a bushy species of pine and several smaller species of plant.

Immediately below the water storage area there is a walled community that is filled with small areas surrounded in high and medium walls (Moroccan cities could serve as inspiration) most of these contain gardens. The odd space is fully roofed and is a residence for the some of the inhabitants. The walls are higher around the outer regions, here and there a taller tree stands.

Several fields are below the walled community and are edged with trees and walls to reduce the drying effects of wind.

The path taken by the moist air escaping the main green house leaves an obvious trail of increased plant life. This area is walled and fenced for goats. Here and there small gardens may be visible in areas where the moist air is more concentrated and collectors have been built.

Possible farming location that are easier to defend
- Quarry, heavy machinery and explosives can make some impressive cliffs.
- Stadium
- Island
- tall buildings

Crunch finished, hit character limit too. As a result I'll add here that the green house moves a considerable amount of water and it works better on hotter days when it is needed more. The condensers and reflectors will cover a large area.

Last edited by (E); 04-16-2016 at 09:47 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote