View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Stormcrow

Default Re: Cinematic gloating and nonviolence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Without tinkering too heavily in the rules, you might require all PCs to take a disadvantage which would make them hesitate to randomly open fire, such as Self Defence Only Pacifism or Reluctant Killer.
Yes, I thought of that. Of the various forms of Pacifism, Cannot Harm Innocents seems to be the most applicable. I suppose if it's made clear that it's a genre convention and not a character's personal limitation, it might work. All Patrolmen work under the limitations of Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents), while the NPCs react similarly with regard to guns, but gleefully slaughter all sorts of people with elaborate machinations. Maybe renaming it would get players to understand that they're not being limited by a moral code, but by a genre convention...

Quote:
You might also impose the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy rule (a side's first volley always misses) for everyone.
Heh. And tell the players this? There would be chaos at the gaming table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
Inform the players that there will be a "reciprocity rule." The Bad Guys will respond in kind to escalating violence.
I tried that. The result was slaughtered PCs. They believed it was necessary to kill the goons faster before they were themselves killed.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote