View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #30
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
As an aside, a permanent colony on the Moon is probably unfeasible without artificial gravity (1/6 gravity probably does not allow for proper development of fetuses or for sustained health, though we will not know for a while). Of course, Star Trek always plays fast and loose with science.
In this case, the artificial gravity is a psychotronically-generated psychokinetic field (aka 'inertia manipulation using transtator-derived technology'), inducing a continuous acceleration toward the surface designated 'the floor.' Mostly the acceleration is enough to simulate one gravity in whatever gravitic environment the system is located (so, more force is needed on Luna than on Mars, and less force is needed on Luna than on a space station in microgravity). Airlocks and such, or paths leading to or from them, often have some variable acceleration, like a path that has higher gravity on one end than on the other, or an airlock that increases gravity when being filled with air, and decreases it when being evacuated, so that the user doesn't trip over a sudden change in acceleration while walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Canonical Star Trek history is constantly mutating. There was a nuclear war and it is frequently conflated with the Eugenics Wars.
This, very much so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Finally, no need to reinvent the wheel. Bob Portnell's "Final Frontier 3.3" take on ST and the anonymous but extensive GURPS 3E Star Trek supplement both exist on the web. Captain Joy's web site has very nice TOS-era rules. Keyword searches will yield gratifying results.
I'm doing a GURPS setting that looks like Star Trek, rather than a Star Trek setting for GURPS.

I do think that your two rather informative posts so far may become useful, though, so thank you.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote