View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Yes, I'm big on the Resistance to Illusion thing (often near-Immunity), as a Buddhist (and Christian) concept, both in Modern Action RPG, and in the historical fantasy Ärth setting.

I'm not sure exactly how Resistance to Illusion should be costed in GURPS. Maybe a PR bonus with a Limitation? And ISTR there's a See Invisibility Advantage too, uncomfortably binary for my taste (you either have it or you don't, there's no middle ground) - I prefer to handle the concept of invisibility as a kind of illusion, so that illusion resistance is a gradual phenomenon - but it works (assuming it is there, and I'm not misremembering).

And yes, psychic powers might work too, as in taking the Martial Artist template and giving it some psionic powering-up options.

I'm also not sure how the "vs Squid" thing would work. Probably some kind of Resistance.
Resistance to Illusions requires See Invisible with the True Sight (IIRC) enhancement. Getting rid of the binarity is doable by adding Unreliable, working with tiers of powers, or using Resistant for those illusions that provide a resistance roll. Mind Shield could help against direct illusions too, and is wholly appropriate for Buddhists.

Now, I wonder what the really-really atheistic (antitheistic?) Buddhists would get? (For instance, I still don't believe Gautama didn't eat for a year etc. So I guess I can't get any 'supernatural' powers, only resistances to them. Or am I wrong?)