View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #46
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: What's your advice on how to hand out experience points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword-dancer View Post
could you explain or at least try how you use these principles objective as a measure for XP Awards?
  • good roleplaying - playing the character as his stated personality, making sure he's aware of all his quirks/disadvantages/advantage, etc.
  • excellent roleplaying - playing the character so convincingly that I lose sight of the player. Doing things as the character would do them even if this means other players are going to have to clean up the mess, etc.
  • poor roleplaying - forgetting disadvantages/quirks/etc. even when I remind you multiple times, doing things wildly out of character, antagonistic roleplaying with other players when there would be no reason (i.e., bringing real world issues into a game).

Regardless, if you show up. You get at least one point.

Quote:
why?
Because I give my PCs plenty of character points to buy both abilities and be awesome in game play. So if someone hoards his points and doesn't try to stop the big bad from unleashing deadly animated lava lamps on the populous...well you get the idea. Before every campaign I tell the players exactly the kind of things I expect, they tell me if they don't like that/want it/etc., and then we go from there. This is more for intentional ball dropping rather than bad dice rolls. Again, it's a artifact of a earlier time when I did have antagonistic players or I was still recruiting from the outside. I rarely have new players anymore because really, seven is over my limit to begin with.

Quote:
which means a gifted Artist with time gets freebies?
As do gifted writers, computer programmers when I need something coded up, those with a head for numbers checking math, etc. One of out current artist's draws portraits for every PC and major NPC in my campaign, I'm going to reward that.

Quote:
i refuse flatly to read anything more than one Page Long, better it be less.
I care nothing of a PCs history i care about his Persona, Goals, ethics
We have different gaming styles then. My players love having as much data and detail as they can get there hands on. So, meh.

Quote:
to often I experienced the the so called ruleslawyering Player was right, so i would be very hesitatingly accept to Play with someone who did such a Thing.
It is neither the role nor the right of one Player to educate other Players, may he be the GM or not.
It's the GMs job to interpretate the rules as written for his campaign. I'm very much a Rule Zero GM; but more than that, anything I write, I write from that perspective. Again, our styles may differ.

Quote:
If necessary such Problems are better talked out and/or fixed with Group rules a social contract so to speak.
I have one of those (of which this is a part of), and as I've stated previously, I tell the player what I expect a head of time and they do the same. I must be doing something right, since I usually have to turn people away from my group and have had excellent campaigns with excellent players for the last fifteen years or so, except for a few nutballs I've meet along the way. But those don't last long, I punt their rulslawyering useless butts to the curb. If they want to play that way, I let them, just not with me or mine.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 10-17-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Missing Word.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote