View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: The Immovable Foundation-Stone on which TFT Characters are Built

Ty -

For additional comparison:

The algebraic formula for the character creation premise as stated in TFT:ITL could be written as:

32 = {[(8 ST)+(8 DX)+(8 IQ)] / 8}

Being the most up-to-date restatement of the premise.

"... starts with 8 ST, 8 DX, 8 IQ, and 8 EXTRA points to be allotted between any or all of these attributes, as the player chooses. Thus, each human figure begins with a total of 32 points." - Jackson, Steve. "Selecting Attributes." In The Fantasy Trip: In The Labyrinth, p7. Austin: Metagaming, 1980.

As the most recent, and the most specific in the verbiage used in all the previous permutations of the stated premise, I would presume this to be what is most accurate as to what the philosophical view is with regard to the nature of the disconnected/connected nature of the Basic Attributes as they are related/unrelated to each other beyond being variable sums within a shared total.

If the above statement is true, then, the Melee premise and the ITL premise are two different premises; ergo, two different games.

PS - that is as close as I can write the formula given the limitations of the keyboard characters to indicate 8 being distributed across the Basic Attributes accurately - but I think the picture serves as is.

Last edited by Jim Kane; 03-15-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote