Thread: Yrth technology
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #37
hal

Default Re: Yrth technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand
I had never really considered the implications of magic in an army before. Well, beyond tossing fireballs at the enemy. I can't help but think that things like illusory ground would be nicely countered by mages on the other side though. Or as Raymond E. Feist once put it, "First mage casts a spell, second mage casts counterspell, third mage helps the first, fourth mage helps the second, and so on and so on until the army comes and chops up all the mages."
Imagine how much fun you could have if you were told "You have a budget of 20 mageborn for a legion containing 5,000 men. Grand total, you may use up to 2000 character points, with no one mage using less than 25 character points, and no more than 250 character points to build those 20 mageborn".

Then try to build those mageborn with the limits imposed of "No more than 4 of those mageborn may have Magery higher than 1 and no Magery 3 mageborn"

What would those 20 mageborn look like, and what would those spell lists be like? I think you might be surprised at what Mageborn can and can't do under those circumstances. When designing a mageborn contingent for your armies, the more Magery 1+ mages you employ in the military, the less you have available for civilian use ;)

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote