View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Adelus

Default Re: [D&D Adaptation Question] Swallow Whole rules and mechanics?

Minor update.

Been experimenting a bit trying to figure out how to model how much bigger something has to be to swallow something else (instead of going right along with the D&D size categories). I'm hovering around a difference of around 6 to 8 SMs, before getting into modifiers like Born Biter, Stretching, etc.

Though now I've had some more ideas;

1) At what point is something so big that it doesn't make sense to charge it for Constricting Attack (Engulfing)? At about 6-8 or so SMs of difference, assuming that's raw size and not effective from stretching (a dragon or giant, as compared to a "small" giant toad or man-eater plant), its at the point that they could probably just grapple/bite and realistically swallow without the need for a special ability.

1.5) Maybe it might be more prudent to make a house ruled maneuver/technique off of grappling for this?

2) Depending on the size difference, how would it be modeled for an attempted swallow taking more than one turn? What modifier on Constricting Attack would fit?

Also, I'm debating whether cutting oneself out would require enough damage to qualify as a Major Wound, or just a particular fraction of HP.
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote