View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #677
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I had trouble figuring out how to phrase a search to find the quote I was looking for, and eventually had to resort to doing a site-specific search on Google. This thread seems to be the best one, though I still can't find the quote that I recall reading that confirmed that it's not just a first-edition thing (though Kromm's post on the first page certainly implies it very strongly).
Given the way Path and Book magic works there are already things in the system to deal with this without invoking GM fiat.

Limited Non-Mage Ceremonies with “Fractional” Magery 0 (1 point/level; max 5) solves all the issues.

Non-mages can work Path/Book magic but are at -5 to skill to do it. Each level of “Fractional” Magery 0 removes a -1 until 5 levels is reach when the other benefits of magery (like magic item detection) become available.

Remember with ritual magic one still needs to a IQ/Very Hard skill (Ritual Magic or Thaumatology) to cast spells. (GURPS Thaumatology 72, 123). Yes both have defaults but at Religious Ritual (same)-6 and IQ-7 respectively the default skill level is going to suck.

If that isn't enough Path and Books are at -6 default to the Ritual Magic or Thaumatology skill and learned as IQ/Very Hard skill (GURPS Thaumatology 72, 123). Then there are the defaults of the spells from the book which are learned as Hard techniques

For example, take Empower from The Hierarch Book (GURPS Thaumatology: Age of Gold 18) which is at a -4 to the Path/Book and takes 10 minutes (GURPS Thaumatology 160).

To get that at IQ level costs [8] for Ritual Magic/Thaumatology skill, another [8] for The Hierarch Book and [5] (max per "cannot exceed prerequisite skill level" for Ritual Magic techniques) for the Empower spell itself. Even if the optional Magery Adds to Rituals rule is being used it only effects effective skill not the base skill.

The point is there is more here then just how common Magery (psi) 0 is.

Last edited by maximara; 12-23-2018 at 05:56 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote