View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #39
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Question about... { Shields as Advantages }

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Different GMs may have different approaches. I am talking about what the rules provide.
So what do the rules say about a flying piano?

Quote:
Hence why I said that the GM might let it slide.
"Slide" has implications that I'm arguing against. It doesn't need to be "let slide", it needs to be agreed with or altered. This comes from the Player-GM negotiation.

At the end of the day it's all Rule Zero.

Quote:
The build under discussion here either enables (says you as GM) or doesn't enable (says me) a character to do something the rules say cannot be done without at least one of two specific objects, a cloak or a shield.
Or a chair. Or a hobbit. Or a car. Three things I've seen used as improvised shields.

Quote:
But the build doesn't provide either object, and that's what I'm pointing out.
So, where in the rules is it discussed how to turn a Gadget into a shield?

Quote:
I gave all the applicable stats; they are unbreakable.
So the feather is the same size as the shield and they are both SM -9?

That's a really tiny shield.

Quote:
You appear to be suggesting that without adding any more game stats one of those builds lets you do a Block while another one doesn't.
No I'm suggesting that without including the Size Limitation you're implying they are the exact same size.

The description is what makes one a shield and the other a feather.

I've now said 'description' in three posts, so by the Rule of Three this is now funny, satisfying, or effective.

Quote:
Consider another example: A character whose racial template includes Blind [-50]. Just taking Acute Senses (Vision) [2] doesn't mean they can now see, and adding a gadget limitation to that doesn't in and of itself let them declare the gadget is a working set of bionic eyes.
Of course not. You need "Not Blind [50]" as part of the Gadget.

So what do you demand be added to a Gadget to make it a Shield or a piano or a feather?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote