View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
Icelander

Default Modern Body Armor

Modern firearms come in a bewildering array of model and brand names, each with their own stats. Body armor, almost as often part of the standard equipment of modern warfighters, law enforcement officers or other adventurous professions, is treated much more generically.

I want to use the tools in High-Tech, Tactical Shooting and Pyramid #3/85: Cutting Edge, where David Pulver's article 'Cutting Edge Armor Design' provides a detailed design system for modern and near future body armor, to provide distinct stats for various types of body armor common in the 2010s. I'm talking about the kind of write-up Kenneth Peters did in his article 'Modern Warfighters: Gear' in Pyramid #3/57: Gunplay, except possibly even more detailed in terms of coverage and, of course, for a wider range of specific models of body armor.

Ideally, I'd like suggestions from forumites for fiddly distinctions, like exact coverage for different models and minor DR differences between certified armor and common industry terms like Level III+. Some heavier and more expensive plate and carrier combinations will just be worse designs, but others should provide better coverage, (e.g. from the side) with four plates than more typical 'clamshell' designs.

I also want knowledgable forumites to suggest models currently in use by various military organizations and law enforcement agencies. If they have enough data to help stat them, great, but just the model name and description would be helpful. It's always good to know who is using which model, what users think of them, etc.

I'll get my friend, who is a Sergeant in the Reykjavík Metropolitan Police, to help me with real world data to translate to GURPS, but most of his data concerns British models of vests. I think he has a Safariland rifle vest now, though, so maybe he'll be useful on the US standards as well, NIJ, FBI, etc.

I think that numerous forumites have or have had jobs where they wore body armor to work, so I'm hoping there is plenty of relevant experience. In most cases, the purchase of body armor with municipal, county, state or federal funds is public information, so I am not asking for any secret, privileged or sensitive information, merely data that can be somewhat time-consuming to locate by looking through public financial documents.

Also, if anyone either has experience or is interested in the subject, by all means suggest specific models of body armor that are 'best in class' (concealable, overt, rifle protection, etc.) and exemplifies the cutting edge of what is actually available as commercial off-the-shelf body armor.

To start with, I'd like to try statting up two distinct options for patrol officers to keep in their vehicles, both of rifle resistant body armor, as most Texas LEOs acquired such gear in 2018 if they did not have it earlier.

The first body armor kit is a reasonably modestly priced offering, at $549, the Safariland Protech TAC PR Package, containing TAC PR + 4400 Type IV + pouches +ID. See this brochure for details. As an aside, this is what Galveston PD purchased for patrol officers in 2018.

From what I can tell, this is a non-ballistic plate carrier with front and rear Level IV stand-alone ceramic/aramid plates. As such, it should be fairly easy to stat, I just have to dig through Safariland publications to nail down the weight of the carrier, pouches and other items other than the plates (the weight for which is already listed at 7.6 lbs. each)

The second kit I want is meant to be bought at a similar time (2016-2018) and have a similar purpose, but instead of cost-consciousness, I want to bring a splash of luxury. Let's have the Galveston County Sheriff's Office purchase new concealable vests expressively with a view to work with the overt rifle resistant add-on body armor kept in their vehicles and let them have a budget of up to $3,000 per officer, for a modular body armour that can be used as a concealable (or at least low-profile) Level IIIA for patrol and overt Level IV rifle resistant armor with the addition of an outer carrier with plates.

Being made in Texas (or at least a neighbouring state) would be a plus, but not an absolute requirement. A representative of the manufacturer which can provide full repair and other service being located within 100 miles of Galveston is a requirement, but even if there is not one there in real life, the size of the order (ca 450 sets for GCSO, about 400+ more for Chambers and Jefferson County Sheriff's Offices) would justify any local vendor in the Galveston-Houston area being prepared to become a representative for the chosen manufacturer.

What is cutting-edge, but still made by a reputable manufacturer, so that law enforcement officers feel comfortable trusting it?

Basically, what make and model body armor would forumites wish their agency or department (or their friends', acquintances' or local LEOs' department/agencies) would purchase, if they got a donation from a fairy billionaire meant to be used to keep deputies safe from attacks like the 2016 Dallas attack or other active shooter situations?

Last edited by Icelander; 06-12-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote