View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #200
Prince Charon

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
I've been thinking something would the churches, like the American Stone-Campbell Restormation movement churches, that belong to Christian Primitivism aka Restorationism attempt to go to Fa-Earth to learn more about the Apostolic-era church? Granted it's 400 years past the era, but Fa-Earth is closest chronologically to that era and I wonder if some of the churches of the Restoration movement may try to send groups to learn more about early church practices. Considering the age some of the beings on Fa-Earth can live to, they might be able to get better sourced information about early Christianity from a source that would/could have seen it grow in its early years.
It'll be a while before they have that opportunity, but I can certaqinly see them trying. They're likely to find it very strange, and if they don't bother to hire very good local guides, and get some training in languages and customs, run the risk of insulting someone who'll kill them for it.

Quote:
Also regarding Dsp-UK, what CR would you consider its colonies to be at?
Probably depends on the colony. Not likely to be higher than 5, or even at 5, anywhere in the British Empire, outside of penal colonies, if any remain. Mostly, it'll be one level worse for the natives than it is for the colonists, so 3/4.

Quote:
Regarding Clp-Earth, is the Akan Empire the Ashanti Empire?
Not exactly, though they both developed from the same roots. The Ashanti Empire didn't exist, yet, but the Akan people did, and were a growing nation. The Akan Empire covers a wider area, including most of modern Ghana and Togo, and large parts of Ivory Coast, Benin, Nigeria, and Liberia, due to having very good boats, and being quite good at road-building. The tribal leaders are quick to pick up any technological innovations they can get from their European trading partners, and some are working on developing better educational standards, so that they can better develop their own innovations, instead of staying behind the crazy pink chaps.

Not clear on whether any European universities would accept African students in this time period, but if they did, they'd be getting a lot for the Akan, mostly the sons of tribal leaders.

Quote:
And I thought feudalism in England had been essentially eliminated by the War of the Roses? This also relates to Clp-Earth.
I suppose it depends on how you define feudalism, but the civil war required certain concessions of Her Majesty, hence her being titled High Queen, rather than Queen (she still has rather a lot of legal power, more than many feudal kings, but there are limits). It could also be called a federal monarchy, rather than a feudal one - the point is that the higher-ranking Lords have more power on their own lands than they did under her father, brother, or sister, but not always the same amount, or the same specific powers. The whole thing is still rather in flux, and may change a great deal in the next few decades.

One thing I've been considering is that one of the Catholic Dukes or Earls (it would have to be a very valuable one to pull this off) offered to support Elizabeth in return for the right for his people to practice Catholicism on his own lands. That's the only special right he asked for (perhaps he really hated Bloody Mary and/or Phillip II for other reasons; any candidates anyone can think of?), and so it's the only one he got: There is no established Church in his territory, Protestants and Catholics may worship as they please, but he otherwise has no more rights than he did under Henry VIII or Edward VI, nor do any monasteries and such that he might allow to be established have any special protections.

Quote:
Also I've been thinking about Fa-Earth. It's been mentioned it'll become Dungeonpunk Earth, so have you looked at the Urbis thread in SJGames Forum for any ideas? The author of the thread has a website about his fantasy world undergoing a magic industrial revolution.
I've looked, and I'll look again (there's some interesting stuff, there), but I'm still deciding what, if anything, will be integrated.

On another note, I seem to be having annoying luck with SB.com, as it keeps conking out when I'm getting ready to go to the version of this thread, there. Going to try again later today, but if you've said something there that you haven't here, you might want to crosspost it.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote