View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #62
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Is Transhuman Space a "silly" genre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What, you're saying that the fact that this message originated from me and not from someone else, and is based on the content of my mind and the information available to it and not on anyone else's, is not detectable? How then do you know who you're talking to?
It's not detectable with THS's TL. In fact, it's not normally detectable at our TL - I've witnessed cases when people chatted behind another's nick, and it went undetected.

The obvious solution is to stop taking it for granted - which, of course, you can use in THS horror as a the me (identity theft).

What is also very important is that the origin of the message is less important than content. For instance, look at the way a typical post looks: there's a quote (with or without the reference to the poster whose quote it is); then there's the relevant message; then there's the signature so that one could identify the poster of the message. Notice that the nick and avatar take place to the side, in 'bannerspace' - a blindspot for a typical reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
And the ability to perceive consciousness in other people is one of the most basic human capabilities, one found even in infants. According to one theory, its lack is a specific abnormal developmental path, called "autism."
No, it's a shortcut to save 'processing time'. Something people do to avoid working with all the complexities of reality. It's a form of stereotype, same as 'Jews have higher IQ than other Europeans' - it can be true, maybe even most of the time, but not always.