View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #33
Tomsdad

Default Re: Question: Off-Hand Striking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
When boxing, I will throw left jabs, but most of my hooks and crosses are right (and certainly hit harder from the right) and I don't think that I even could throw a left upper-cut if I wanted to (the mechanics of it would confuse me).

I guess for me the training in terms of different punches with different hands is all about ideally being able to throw the right punch at the right time. So if the best punch is a left upper cut than ideally you should be setting your position in order to do that effectively (well so long as you can do so while maintaining everything else!)

However Kromm is right in a sparring match where you're both throwing a lot of (just) punches in a tightly controlled situation over a long period of time there is a lot more scope for all these different right times for different punches to be beautifully engineered or even naturally come up. And in real life they may well not and the goal is not show your range of punches, it's just finish this situation as quickly as you can.

But I would argue that given the unpredictable nature of real-life fights being adaptable to changing circumstances and having a range of tools at your disposal has value. Of course Kromm is also right there's no value in having thrown a thousand different punches once each in training, and learned none of them well enough to actually apply them effectively*. At some point being adaptable also means being able to adapt the situation you find yourself to you. It's all a balance

*to paraphrase Mr. Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I am mostly currently self teaching myself to use what is essentially a kusari-tonfa (because I now play an utterly ridiculous sport) and my right arm is now visibly larger than the left. I should probably do more general strength training...
or arm wrestling competitions!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-15-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote