View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Layered Cutting Edge Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
How much of that is the inserts, and how much is the ergonomics? Perhaps a better design - and/or having (enough) skilled armorers to adjust the armor for the wearer - could avoid those issues.
The ITB has similar, but not as egregious problems (and maybe is a little worse with a side plate carrier), other than that I don't have any personal experience (other than obsolete flak vests in recruit training, but those lack plates), but I will note again that plate carriers exist because some units wanted to sacrifice some protection for mobility, so that tradeoff does exist in the real world.

Quote:
Sorry, I must have written things poorly. Let me start over. The idea would be that the flexible underlayer would work perfectly fine without the rigid armor added on, but the rigid armor wouldn't work right without the flexible underlayer. Inserts blur the line in terms of what is the underlayer, but are basically the same concept - the flexible armor works just fine without the inserts, while the inserts are mostly useless without the flexible armor carrier.
That isn't true, hence plate carriers.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote