View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 06:17 AM   #33
Icelander

Default Re: Faster Charms and Enchanting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'll note that there is nothing magical about the act of charm creation - it stores a spell and that's it. You get the container right and you're good to go.
In that case, the requirement for a 'fragile object' is a special effect, not an important balancing limitation, right?

So a Charm that took effect as soon as it was worn and provided some protection or the equivalent for the duration, could be cast on a durable object, as long as you needed to prepare it for the same time beforehand.

The only thing that would change is that instead of being destroyed when the duration expired, the object would instead simply become non-magical at that point and if the caster wanted to use it as a Charm again, he'd have to re-prepare it.

Given that Charm objects are free, are there any pitfalls I'm missing here? Anything that will break (pun not intended) by not using breakable objects as Charm objects for a Charm where the duration starts immediately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd rule that a -10 to the roll means it takes you a minute to create the charm, not instantly done. So if you have enough energy and the spell is small enough you could create the charm in a minute, tap your mana reserve in a minute, and cast the spell.
Fair enough.