View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
Kax

Default Re: [Banestorm] Fleshing-out the Armsmen's Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
I wasn't trying to indicate being expelled for something you "might do". Like I said above, my initial assumption that you need a secret if you don't have the CoH and/or Vow was that you already had or the player was planning on violating the rules. I realize that this is not necessarily the case, so I have reconsidered that particular requirement for a mandatory Secret.

And like I also said, RAW in Social Engineering: Pulling Rank is that for Rank you almost always need some kind of accompanying disadvantage that indicates you either will not violate the organization's rules or you that there are consequences for violating them. This is usually duty with a frequency roll, but can be other disadvantages that are usually classed as "self-imposed mental disadvantages". Remember, this is not the same as a job that does not show-up on the character sheet because it is just the background source of income. It is Rank that confers in-game advantages and abilities. Therefore, losing it is a significant change and so the organization's rules are constraining even if you plan on violating them.

As the description of Rank includes Duty, and this function is exactly what Duty is for and Duty is externally imposed, use Duty not Vow. A Vow is for an internalized Duty, one taken more seriously than just a Duty covering how you act in a job.

Someone dedicated to the tenets of the Guild would have CoH or Vow.

A Vow as a job requirement is for priests and nobles and police and knights and others signing up for life.