View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
whswhs

Default Re: Influence Skills and Interrogation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdrolion View Post
1. A reaction roll is used mostly for the "general reaction" set on the Reaction Chart. It shouldn't in general be used for the other columns, such as getting a great deal on a transaction, getting information the person doesn't want to give, requesting aid, etc. For those, an appropriate influence skill should be used. Basically, as you said, a character may like a PC, but may not be willing to assist him in any major way, and may need to be convinced by more dedicated means. So, in order to get information a character regards as "secret" or aid the character regards as "unusual" or "risky," or get a better deal on equipment, or some such, the PC needs to use an influence skill.
That's not true. I have discussed this with Kromm at some length. Reaction rolls and influence rolls are usually alternatives; one represents using your natural charm passively, the other represents your actual skill in inducing people to cooperate with you. You can use all the other reaction sets if you like; it means that you're relying on people telling you what you want to know because you have a nice face, personal charm, visible social prestige, and so on. If you were Beautiful, had Charisma +4, and had Voice and Fashion Sense, you might never both learning any influence skill, because you would get an Excellent reaction over half the time . . . and it would affect request for aid, requests for information, and so on.

Quote:
2. Interrogation is and isn't an influence skill, and to some degree assumes you've tried and failed at influence skills and need to do something heavier.

I guess the main thing I'm not entirely clear on with Interrogation is how it really differs from Intimidation. Both of those seem to be all about getting what you want from someone who clearly doesn't want to give it to you. It's just that Interrogation takes longer and gets bonuses for torture and such...but then, Intimidation gets bonuses for feats of strength and such. And wouldn't using threats in Interrogation require Intimidation checks?
It's a bit obscure, isn't it? The best I can suggest is that you use Fast-Talk, Intimidation, and so on in free floating social situations: You meet someone on the street and want to get them to cooperate, so you try to influence them. You use Interrogation once you've taken them into custody and have them restrained and/or confined. Note that the discussion of Interrogation refers to its being applied to a "prisoner." That's a different social situation, and one where the subject's choices are more restricted.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote